May 8, 2012

Reread: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe



Note to self:  reread The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe every year.

This journey to Narnia is a magical treat for young and old alike, and let's face it, I'm not sure you could get through the wardrobe if you were not young at heart.   This book has such depth and deeper meaning that a seven year old wouldn't notice.  The religious references throughout were clever and intertwined with the story without being preachy.  (i.e. the Pevensie' being the Sons and Daughters of Adam and Eve).

I love Lucy, and not just the show.  She is brilliant in her own way, she is trustworthy, honest and a true believer of magic.  I wish we could have more Lucys in the world.  Although, each Pevensie children has their own identity.  Edmund, a polar opposite of Lucy and a little snitch, and the elder siblings, Peter and Susan are both rather serious and keep the two younger ones (or try to) on the straight and narrow.

I'll sum up the magical Animals in one word: Awesomeness!  (and Mr. Tumnus is double awesomeness!)  Lastly, good vs evil.  The White Queen is a total bitch who needs to get out in the sun more to get vitamin d and be rid of her sickly, pale completion.  Aslan makes a believer out of you and I could totally see him as the Obama of Narnia.  (Let's make The White Queen Sarah Palin).   My trip through the wardrobe was an adventure I never wanted to end.  Narnia is its own Garden of Eden minus those rotten apples.


9 comments:

  1. Dude, you decided on reading the books in the right order, right? With Magician's Nephew last? BECAUSE THEN YOU READ IT AND ARE ALL 'OHHHHHHHHHH.'

    I do not like it when MN is put first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the 100,00 dollar question, which order is the right order. I've been debating on which order to read them, the way in which they were written, or published. I have read Magician's Nephew before and think that read as the first book in the series, it ruins all the mystery of Narnia. As to the order I will read them in, I am leaning towards the written order making Magician's Nephew last.

      Delete
  2. Of all people who have already talked about The Chronicles of Narnia I think you are the first one to compare Aslan to Obama!
    Of course I have to agree wholeheartedly :)
    My love for Aslan is only matched by my love for Mister Tumnus, who is clearly the AWESOMEST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It goes without saying that Tumnus is awesome! As for the Obama reference, to me Aslan gives the same hope and change feeling Barack Obama did in the first election.

      Delete
  3. I was wondering whether you would be happy to put up a link in my brand new monthly series called “Books You Love”. The idea is for people to link up posts about a book they loved – it doesn’t have to be one they just posted about. It could be an old fave. I am hoping we will end up with a nice collection of books that can go on our reading lists. Here is the link Books You Loved May Edition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books You Love looks like a very cool meme, I'll pop over to your blog sometime this month and share a link.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you're reading them in this order. That newfangled order these days bugs the crap out of me and I've gotten into multiple fistfights with small children who try to claim that The Magician's Nephew is book one.

    Well, perhaps not exactly fistfights.

    Also, you are reading the same editions that I had as a child. (Or at least you're posting an image of the same editions I read as a child)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried reading them in different orders and I think by reading Magician's Nephew first, it ruins the magic of Narnia. It is much better to read them in publication order.

      I only bought the series recently, but when I checked out the books at the library, they were always this edition. Therefore, even though, I own a different edition now, these are the copies I remember.

      Delete
  5. Reading your review about The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe brought back all the good memories I have of reading The Chronicles of Narnia when I was younger, I fully agree, it is definitley a Garden of Eden!

    ReplyDelete

"It is your turn to say something now, Mr. Darcy. I talked about the dance, and you ought to make some kind of remark on the size of the room, or the number of couples."

It is your turn to say something now dear readers, thank you for stopping by.